Utilizing a variety of solid fuel sources, Southport Power Plant is part of Capital Power’s North Carolina generation assets. The facility was acquired in 2006 from Primary Energy Ventures and operates under a Power Purchase Agreement with Progress Energy. Southport is a combined heat and power cogeneration facility that provides steam to the nearby Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Significant investment made in equipment to burn alternate fuels, reducing coal usage by 90%
- Six stoker boilers use a mixture of wood residuals, tire-derived fuel and coal
- Wood residuals sourced from North Carolina’s extensive forestry-related industry, which produces an abundance of wood waste as a by-product
- Tire-derived fuel sourced from waste tires repurposes waste into energy instead of going to landfill
- Environmental impact minimized by using an engineered fabric filter known as baghouse, which keeps particulates from the plant well under state regulations
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage with neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Southport Power:
- We employ 54 permanent employees and 6 contractors.
- Numerous logging and truck driver jobs are supported, in part, by the facility.
- We pay approximately $175,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- North Carolina Fourth of July Festival, Inc.
- Crimestoppers of New Hanover County
- Brunswick Family Assistance Agency
- Southport Fire Department
- J. Arthur Dosher Memorial Hospital Foundation
Southport Power Plant is invested in the community and Brunswick County. The Plant provides responsible and reliable energy, utilizing locally sourced industrial waste products to burn as alternate fuel and reducing our coal usage by 90%.
Powered by People: Why HR is an Enabler of Business Success
At Capital Power, we’re working to deliver responsible energy for tomorrow. It’s our mission to create dependable, cost-effective and future-ready electricity solutions. This is a major undertaking...
Media and government stakeholders get firsthand look at construction progress of Whitla Wind
As construction of the Whitla Wind project progresses, Capital Power hosted local media and government officials for a tour of the project site on August 15, 2019.
Construction Ramps Up at our Cardinal Point Wind Project
Construction of our Cardinal Point Wind Project is moving along on schedule. Crews are expected to increase to more than 250 workers as turbine components are delivered.
Beyond the Bottom Line – Why Investors are Valuing Sustainability
Kate Chisholm examines the impact of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance on a company’s bottom line as investors increasingly seek sustainable investment opportunities.
Capital Power to gain 100% ownership and control of Genesee Generating Station through divestiture of interest in Keephills 3
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (“Capital Power” or “the Company”) (TSX: CPX) announced today it has entered into an agreement to divest its 50% share of the Keephills 3 generation un...
2018 Corporate Sustainability Report
Our recently released 2018 Corporate Sustainability Report highlights our sustainability targets, performance, and commitment to delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow.
Capital Power reports solid second quarter 2019 results and announces a 7.3% dividend increase for its common shares
Company is on track to achieve results at the top end of annual financial target range
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) today released financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2019.
Capital Power declares dividends for its Common and Preference shares and announces a 7.3% dividend increase for its common shares
EDMONTON, Alberta – The Board of Directors for Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) (Capital Power) declared a dividend of $0.48 per share on the outstanding common shares for the quarter ending Se...
Capital Power announces retirement plans for Brian Vaasjo, President and Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Vaasjo intends to retire in 2020, will remain in his leadership position until a successor assumes the role EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) (Capital Power or the Compa...
Capital Power celebrates 10 years of delivering responsible energy
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) celebrates its 10th anniversary, marking a decade of disciplined growth, sustainability and providing value to its shareholders. Over the...