Utilizing a variety of solid fuel sources, Southport Power Plant is part of Capital Power’s North Carolina generation assets. The facility was acquired in 2006 from Primary Energy Ventures and operates under a Power Purchase Agreement with Progress Energy. Southport is a combined heat and power cogeneration facility that provides steam to the nearby Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Significant investment made in equipment to burn alternate fuels, reducing coal usage by 90%
- Six stoker boilers use a mixture of wood residuals, tire-derived fuel and coal
- Wood residuals sourced from North Carolina’s extensive forestry-related industry, which produces an abundance of wood waste as a by-product
- Tire-derived fuel sourced from waste tires repurposes waste into energy instead of going to landfill
- Environmental impact minimized by using an engineered fabric filter known as baghouse, which keeps particulates from the plant well under state regulations
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage with neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Southport Power:
- We employ 54 permanent employees and 6 contractors.
- Numerous logging and truck driver jobs are supported, in part, by the facility.
- We pay approximately $175,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- North Carolina Fourth of July Festival, Inc.
- Crimestoppers of New Hanover County
- Brunswick Family Assistance Agency
- Southport Fire Department
- J. Arthur Dosher Memorial Hospital Foundation
Southport Power Plant is invested in the community and Brunswick County. The Plant provides responsible and reliable energy, utilizing locally sourced industrial waste products to burn as alternate fuel and reducing our coal usage by 90%.
Advancing our commitment to gender equality with Equal by 30
At Capital Power, delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow means advancing the participation of women in energy and closing the gender gap. Our Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Committee is proud to...
Capital Power announces a C$350 million medium term note offering and the early redemption of C$251 million of medium term notes
Capital Power announced today that it has priced a public offering in Canada of unsecured medium term notes in the aggregate principal amount of C$350 million (the “Offering”). The notes have a cou...
Capital Power announces a 10-year tolling agreement extension for Decatur Energy Center
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) announced today the execution of a 10-year tolling agreement extension through December 2032 for Decatur Energy Center (Decatur Energy) with the current counterparty.