Utilizing a variety of solid fuel sources, Southport Power Plant is part of Capital Power’s North Carolina generation assets. The facility was acquired in 2006 from Primary Energy Ventures and operates under a Power Purchase Agreement with to Duke Energy. Southport is a combined heat and power cogeneration facility that provides steam to the nearby Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Significant investment made in equipment to burn alternate fuels, reducing coal usage by 90%
- Six stoker boilers use a mixture of wood residuals, tire-derived fuel and coal
- Wood residuals sourced from North Carolina’s extensive forestry-related industry, which produces an abundance of wood waste as a by-product
- Tire-derived fuel sourced from waste tires repurposes waste into energy instead of going to landfill
- Environmental impact minimized by using an engineered fabric filter known as baghouse, which keeps particulates from the plant well under state regulations
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage with neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Southport Power:
- We employ 54 permanent employees and 6 contractors.
- Numerous logging and truck driver jobs are supported, in part, by the facility.
- We pay approximately $175,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- North Carolina Fourth of July Festival, Inc.
- Crimestoppers of New Hanover County
- Brunswick Family Assistance Agency
- Southport Fire Department
- J. Arthur Dosher Memorial Hospital Foundation
Southport Power Plant is invested in the community and Brunswick County. The Plant provides responsible and reliable energy, utilizing locally sourced industrial waste products to burn as alternate fuel and reducing our coal usage by 90%.
Capital Power provides update on United States power operations relating to recent extreme weather event
Capital Power provided the following update for its operations following the recent extreme weather event through the central United States.
Capital Power announces approval of normal course issuer bid for purchase of up to 10.6 million of its common shares
The Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) has approved Capital Power (TSX: CPX) normal course issuer bid ("NCIB") to purchase and cancel up to 10,661,112 of its outstanding common shares during the one-year...
Capital Power named one of the 2021 World’s Most Ethical Companies® by Ethisphere
Capital Power has been recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the 2021 World’s Most Ethical Companies®. Honoured for a third straight year, Capital Power is one of only four Canadian comp...