Utilizing a variety of solid fuel sources, Southport Power Plant is part of Capital Power’s North Carolina generation assets. The facility was acquired in 2006 from Primary Energy Ventures and operates under a Power Purchase Agreement with Progress Energy. Southport is a combined heat and power cogeneration facility that provides steam to the nearby Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Significant investment made in equipment to burn alternate fuels, reducing coal usage by 90%
- Six stoker boilers use a mixture of wood residuals, tire-derived fuel and coal
- Wood residuals sourced from North Carolina’s extensive forestry-related industry, which produces an abundance of wood waste as a by-product
- Tire-derived fuel sourced from waste tires repurposes waste into energy instead of going to landfill
- Environmental impact minimized by using an engineered fabric filter known as baghouse, which keeps particulates from the plant well under state regulations
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage with neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Southport Power:
- We employ 54 permanent employees and 6 contractors.
- Numerous logging and truck driver jobs are supported, in part, by the facility.
- We pay approximately $175,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- North Carolina Fourth of July Festival, Inc.
- Crimestoppers of New Hanover County
- Brunswick Family Assistance Agency
- Southport Fire Department
Southport Power Plant is invested in the community and Brunswick County. The Plant provides responsible and reliable energy, utilizing locally sourced industrial waste products to burn as alternate fuel and reducing our coal usage by 90%.
Capital Power celebrates 10 years of delivering responsible energy
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) celebrates its 10th anniversary, marking a decade of disciplined growth, sustainability and providing value to its shareholders. Over the...
Capital Power announces its second quarter 2019 financial results release date
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) will release its second quarter 2019 results before the markets open on July 29, 2019. Management will host a conference call with analysts ...
Celebrating 10 Years of Responsibility
I am very pleased to be celebrating Capital Power’s 10th anniversary, this marks a major milestone in our history and an exciting stepping stone into our future as a company. Over the past decade, ...
Capital Power accelerates plans for natural gas capability at the Genesee facility
Dual-fuel optionality expected to significantly increase cash flow and further reduce emissions EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power or the Company) (TSX: CPX) announced to...
Capital Power completes $325 million Canadian dollar private placement of senior notes
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power or the Company) (TSX: CPX) announced today that it has closed a $325 million private placement of senior notes. The net proceeds from th...
Capital Power named one of Canada’s ‘Best 50 Corporate Citizens’ for ninth consecutive year
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power is pleased to announce it is again ranked among Corporate Knights' 2019 Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada. This marks the ninth consecutive year that Capital Po...
Capital Power completes acquisition of Goreway Power Station
Acquisition materially increases contracted adjusted EBITDA and is immediately accretive to adjusted funds from operations per share EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power ...
Capital Power declares dividend for its Preference Shares (Series 11)
EDMONTON, Alberta – May 16, 2019 - The Board of Directors for Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) (Capital Power) declared a dividend of $0.1772 per share on its Cumulative Minimum Rate Reset Pref...
Capital Power announces closing of $150 million offering of 5.75% Cumulative Minimum Rate Reset Preferred Shares
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (“Capital Power”) (TSX:CPX) announced today that it has closed its previously announced offering of 6,000,000 Cumulative Minimum Rate Reset Preference ...
Capital Power announces the exercise of over-allotment option by Underwriters in subscription receipt offering
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power or the Company) (TSX: CPX) announced today that the underwriters (the Underwriters) co-led by RBC Capital Markets and TD Securities have...