Buckthorn Wind

Texas, United States

Status

In Operation

Year

2018

Owned Capacity

101

MW

Owned/Operated

100/100

Wind
Status
In Operation
Year

2018

OWNED CAPACITY

101

MW

OWNED/OPERATED

100/100

Wind

Buckthorn Wind is a 101 MW wind facility located approximately 60 miles south of Dallas in Erath County, Texas. The facility began commercial operations in January 2018 and operates in the liquid Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) North region, which is situated between most of the wind generation in ERCOT-West and the Dallas load center. The ERCOT-North region has strong fundamentals with a high likelihood of baseload generation retirements and is one of the fastest growing regions in the United States. Buckthorn Wind has two offtake arrangements with an investment grade U.S. financial institution involving a 20-year contract for differences (CfD) for 55% of the generation output, and a 13-year financial hedge for the remaining 45% of the output. Capital Power acquired Buckthorn Wind from private investors in April 2020.

Quick Facts

  • Facility comprised of 29 Vestas wind turbines
  • Strategically located in the ERCOT-North region near the Dallas load center allowing for a premium in pricing compared to ERCOT-West projects

Community Investment

At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.

The acquisition of Buckthorn Wind provided an opportunity to acquire a young renewables asset with a 15-year weighted average contract life remaining. The addition of this asset enhances our contracted cash flow profile and expands our renewables portfolio.
Brian Vaasjo, President and CEO

Site Contact

Phone: 1-855-703-5005
Email: [email protected]

What's New

Media Releases
Capital Power announces a 6-year tolling agreement extension for Arlington Valley
Extension to yield materially higher adjusted funds from operations over extended term

Capital Power announced today the execution of a 6-year tolling agreement extension through October 2031 for its Arlington Valley (Arlington) facility with the current counterparty. Arlington is a ...

Media Releases
Capital Power highlights strong cash flows and dividend growth guidance to 2025 at Investor Day
Announces acquisition of a portfolio of renewable development sites, construction plans for phase 2 of Halkirk Wind and decarbonization

At its 13th annual Investor Day event being held virtually today, Capital Power Corporation will review its financial outlook and highlight progress on its decarbonization plans, including acquisit...

Media Releases
Capital Power and Enbridge Collaborate to Reduce CO2 Emissions in Alberta
Open access carbon hub in Wabamun area of central Alberta would support Capital Power and other local companies

Capital Power and Enbridge Inc. are pleased to announce a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on carbon capture and storage (CCS) solutions in the Wabamun area west of Edmonton, Alberta, ne...