Located in Campbell River, Island Generation is a 275 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power generation facility. It is fully contracted under a long-term tolling agreement with BC Hydro until April 2022.
- Utilizes an Alstom GT24B gas turbine and an Alstom steam turbine with fuel supplied by BC Hydro
- Single largest power generation facility on Vancouver Island, representing approximately one-third of the generation capacity on Vancouver Island
We contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We strive to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Island Generation:
- We employ 15 permanent employees and one contractor.
- We pay approximately $1,500,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Campbell River & District Adult Care Society
- Campbell River Salmon Festival Society
- Campbell River Canada Day Committee
- Campbell River and North Island Transition Society
- Campbell River Hospital Foundation
- Campbell River Crime Stoppers
- Rotary Club of Campbell River
- Discovery Passage Aquarium Society
- Knights of Columbus Christmas Hamper Fund
- Campbell River Food Bank
Island Generation represents an important milestone in Capital Power’s history and growth as it was the first addition to our fleet via acquisition.
President and CEO
Advancing our commitment to gender equality with Equal by 30
At Capital Power, delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow means advancing the participation of women in energy and closing the gender gap. Our Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Committee is proud to...
Capital Power announces a C$350 million medium term note offering and the early redemption of C$251 million of medium term notes
Capital Power announced today that it has priced a public offering in Canada of unsecured medium term notes in the aggregate principal amount of C$350 million (the “Offering”). The notes have a cou...
Capital Power announces a 10-year tolling agreement extension for Decatur Energy Center
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) announced today the execution of a 10-year tolling agreement extension through December 2032 for Decatur Energy Center (Decatur Energy) with the current counterparty.