Island Generation is a 275-megawatt natural gas-fired combined cycle facility located in Campbell River on Vancouver Island, BC. We acquired the facility in October 2010 when it was fully contracted under a 12-year tolling arrangement with BC Hydro that expired in April 2022. In May 2022, a 4.5-year Electricity Purchase Agreement (EPA) was executed through to October 2026 with BC Hydro. The EPA is subject to regulatory approval by the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC).
- Utilizes an Alstom GT24B gas turbine and an Alstom steam turbine with fuel supplied by BC Hydro
- Single largest power generation facility on Vancouver Island, representing approximately one-third of the generation capacity on Vancouver Island
We contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We strive to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Island Generation:
- We employ 15 permanent employees and one contractor.
- We pay approximately $1,500,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Campbell River & District Adult Care Society
- Campbell River Salmon Festival Society
- Campbell River Canada Day Committee
- Campbell River and North Island Transition Society
- Campbell River Hospital Foundation
- Campbell River Crime Stoppers
- Rotary Club of Campbell River
- Discovery Passage Aquarium Society
- Knights of Columbus Christmas Hamper Fund
- Campbell River Food Bank