New Frontier Wind, located on approximately 10,700 acres of privately-owned lands in McHenry County, North Dakota, began construction in May 2018 and was completed on schedule and under budget, commencing commercial operation on December 21, 2018. The facility operates under a 12-year fixed price contract with an investment-grade U.S. financial institution covering 87% of the facility’s output. Under the contract, Capital Power will swap the market revenue from a fixed volume of New Frontier Wind’s generation for a fixed price payment over a 12-year term. The agreement will secure long-term predictable revenues and is expected to allow New Frontier Wind to secure renewable energy tax equity financing.
- Comprised of 29 Vestas V126 3.45 MW wind turbines, each with a hub height of 87 metres (285 feet) and rotor diameter of 126 metres (413 feet)
- Interconnection at GRE’s 115-kV McHenry Substation
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, and hire from the community. At New Frontier Wind:
- Six to eight permanent full-time positions are now associated with the facility.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Velva Food Pantry
- Velva Community Development Corporation Community Youth Project
- McHenry County Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Detecting K9
- Angel Tree Program
- Winter Whimsy
- Velva Community Halloween Party
- Velva Area Dollars for Scholars
- Velva Summer Fastpitch