Responsible Energy for Tomorrow
Our sustainability journey spans more than a decade and we recognize and embrace the value of taking a long view to create a sustainable energy future. We are committed to staying ahead of the curve and acting as a leader within our industry when it comes to sustainability and environmental, social, and governance practices.
It is our responsibility to do our part to help society meet the long-term challenges facing our planet. These are essential actions to ensure we’re making meaningful contributions to our world.
We Are Focused On:
- Climate change and carbon footprint: Continuous improvement ,innovation, dialogue and action to reduce emissions and create a low-carbon energy future are critical across the energy industry.
- Innovation: This is the key to creating responsible, sustainable energy for future generations. This includes both investment in and support for new technologies as well as innovative thinking and approaches to existing systems and processes.
- Water management: Water is a shared and precious resources. We are developing a water management strategy to minimize our water use impact through technological innovation and sustainable water management best practices.
- Sustainable sourcing: We will be holding ourselves accountable and asking others to do the same through the products and services we purchase.
Sustainability is an integrated and holistic practice for us, and we work to ensure our business decisions support a sustainable future for our environment, communities, people, operations and shareholders.
Our Sustainability Targets:
- Constructing all new natural gas generation units to be carbon capture and/or hydrogen-ready;
- Reducing our actual CO2 emissions at Genesee by 50% by 2030 from 2005 levels;
- Reducing our actual CO2 emissions by 10%, and our emission intensity by 65%, by 2030 from 2005 levels (based on our current fleet), in spite of increasing our generation by 145%, and;
- Investing in carbon capture and utilization (CCU) technology such as C2CNT to eventually decarbonize our natural gas fleet.
To learn more about our long-term sustainability strategy and performance, view our 2018 Corporate Sustainability Report.
- Appointed a Chief Sustainability Officer, Kate Chisholm.
- Added sustainability to the board’s mandate.
- Established a cross-functional Sustainability Committee, led by our Chief Sustainability Officer.
- Engaged directly with our key stakeholders to identify key sustainability priorities.