Located in Edmonton, AB, Clover Bar Landfill Gas is the only facility in the province which recovers landfill gas and uses it to generate renewable energy. The landfill gas is sourced from the City of Edmonton’s Waste Management Centre, and the facility’s energy output is purchased by the City of Edmonton.
- Facility capable of producing 5 MW of renewable energy and reduces greenhouse gases by transforming them into electricity. This is enough energy output to power approximately 4,600 homes annually
- Important source of registered and retired offsets in Alberta
- Landfill Gas
- A natural byproduct of the decomposition of organic material in municipal solid waste in conditions where oxygen is not present
- Created when organic material naturally decomposes in a landfill and creates methane, which is captured and burned to produce electricity
- Contains roughly 50% methane (CH4) and 50% carbon dioxide (CO2), with less than 1% nonmethane organic compounds and trace amounts of inorganic compounds
- Methane is a 28 times more detrimental greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide
- Transforming methane into electricity allows it to be used as a resource rather than becoming a pollutant in the atmosphere
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. Clover Bar Landfill Gas facility operates to contribute to the development of a sustainable, green economy. And, we aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Clover Bar Land Fill Gas facility:
- We pay approximately $101,000 in property and linear tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.Request Community Support
As one of Capital Power’s carbon offset projects, this facility is contributing to a low-carbon energy future by transforming methane gas into electricity – allowing it to be used as a resource rather than polluting the atmosphere.
Capital Power celebrates 10 years of delivering responsible energy
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) celebrates its 10th anniversary, marking a decade of disciplined growth, sustainability and providing value to its shareholders. Over the...
Capital Power announces its second quarter 2019 financial results release date
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) will release its second quarter 2019 results before the markets open on July 29, 2019. Management will host a conference call with analysts ...
Celebrating 10 Years of Responsibility
I am very pleased to be celebrating Capital Power’s 10th anniversary, this marks a major milestone in our history and an exciting stepping stone into our future as a company. Over the past decade, ...
Capital Power accelerates plans for natural gas capability at the Genesee facility
Dual-fuel optionality expected to significantly increase cash flow and further reduce emissions EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power or the Company) (TSX: CPX) announced to...
Capital Power completes $325 million Canadian dollar private placement of senior notes
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power or the Company) (TSX: CPX) announced today that it has closed a $325 million private placement of senior notes. The net proceeds from th...
Capital Power named one of Canada’s ‘Best 50 Corporate Citizens’ for ninth consecutive year
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power is pleased to announce it is again ranked among Corporate Knights' 2019 Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada. This marks the ninth consecutive year that Capital Po...
Capital Power completes acquisition of Goreway Power Station
Acquisition materially increases contracted adjusted EBITDA and is immediately accretive to adjusted funds from operations per share EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power ...
Capital Power declares dividend for its Preference Shares (Series 11)
EDMONTON, Alberta – May 16, 2019 - The Board of Directors for Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) (Capital Power) declared a dividend of $0.1772 per share on its Cumulative Minimum Rate Reset Pref...
Capital Power announces closing of $150 million offering of 5.75% Cumulative Minimum Rate Reset Preferred Shares
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (“Capital Power”) (TSX:CPX) announced today that it has closed its previously announced offering of 6,000,000 Cumulative Minimum Rate Reset Preference ...
Capital Power announces the exercise of over-allotment option by Underwriters in subscription receipt offering
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (Capital Power or the Company) (TSX: CPX) announced today that the underwriters (the Underwriters) co-led by RBC Capital Markets and TD Securities have...