Our commitment to improving the quality of life where we live and work pushes us to find new and creative ways of strengthening our communities.
We work with community members and invest in citizen-led projects to preserve and strengthen community character, ecology, and heritage. By supporting meaningful, grassroots initiatives and programs, we help create healthy and sustainable communities.
We support programs and initiatives in three focus areas:
- Enrichment of Community Character and Vibrancy supports the individualism of a community—its physical qualities, spirit, and identity. We support citizen-led projects that rejuvenate community features and enrich community satisfaction and esteem. Examples of support for community character include park amenities (picnic tables, park benches, gazebos), food banks/pantries, Crimestoppers/rural crime watch and law enforcement outreach programs.
- Enrichment of Community Ecology focuses on enabling citizen groups to undertake projects that preserve and protect high-risk ecosystems and which restore damaged ecosystems. Tree planting, community gardens and park restorations are all examples of projects that help to preserve a community’s ecology.
- Community Heritage and Fellowship supports the legacy attributes inherited from past generations and strengthens social networks and fellowship, as groups come together for a collective purpose. Community heritage may present itself as festivals, art, museums, languages, summer reading programs, songs, stories, customs, practices, or other cultural items that are maintained for the benefit of future generations.
Our head office is located in Edmonton, Alberta and we are dedicated to the sustainable growth and vibrancy of our home city. We look to support organizations that are making significant impacts to the quality of life in Edmonton.
Current corporate partnerships include:
We’re proud of the active community participation of our employees. Some donate their time, talent and skills as coaches, volunteers and board members, some support community fundraising initiatives, others lend their skills and talent to local community organizations, and many make personal financial contributions.
EmPowering Communities recognizes the volunteer spirit of our employees and the valuable gifts of time, skill and knowledge that employees choose to give to their community.
Employees and their families who volunteer a combined minimum of 35 hours in a calendar year can apply for a $500 grant to be donated by Capital Power to a non-profit organization of the employee’s choice. Employees who refer co-workers to participate in the program for the first time are eligible to direct a referral grant of $250 to a non-profit or charitable service organization.
In 2020, nearly $65,000 was directed by employees to 113 unique organizations including:
- Boy Scouts of America, NC
- Boyle Street Services Society, AB
- Campbell River and District Adult Care Society, BC
- CASA Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health, AB
- Harvest Compassion Center, AZ
- Quest Theatre Society, AB
- Remi Ski Club, ON
- Speake Youth Booster Club, AL
GENerosity is an innovative matching donation program offered to employees. Capital Power matches employee charitable donations up to $500 annually, anytime throughout the year. Employees are free to direct matched funds towards any registered charity in Canada or the U.S. that they would like to support.
In 2020, we matched just over $169,000 for a total of $338,000 that was directed to charities chosen by our employees.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, as unemployment soared, businesses closed and services became overwhelmed, Capital Power employees rallied together to support our communities when they needed it the most. In only two weeks, we rallied together to donate $534,000 to local community charities across North America that are responding to the COVID-19 crisis. During the two-week campaign, 220 employee contributions were matched in full by Capital Power, with over 100 charitable organizations in Canada and the U.S. receiving critical support during this extraordinary time.
Engaging with our Neighbours
Effective community engagement is an important element in the development, construction and operation of our facilities. We work to consider local community interests and priorities, and to incorporate these into project planning for our facilities across Canada and the U.S. We undertake this work by establishing presence in the communities near our operations, working with neighbours and stakeholders to build relationships and strong communities. Our goal is to earn our place as a respected community member.
We recognize that stakeholders may have diverse views about our operations, including negative perspectives. Our goal in engaging stakeholders is to minimize negative impacts of our facilities and operations. In doing this, we engage with government, employees, local communities, Indigenous communities, investors, and shareholders. Our goal with every project, every facility and every initiative, internal and external, is to build, operate, and align with the interests and priorities of those closest to the facility and who have a direct stake in the safe and environmentally sound operations of our facilities.Request Community Support
Capital Power announces long-term renewable power purchase agreement with Dow
Agreement for Whitla Wind capacity demonstrates how cross-industry collaboration contributes to a sustainable future
Capital Power announced today a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC, a subsidiary of Dow (NYSE: DOW), for 25 megawatts (MW) of capacity and the associated enviro...
Capital Power announces a 6.8% dividend increase for its common shares and declares dividends for its Preference shares
The Board of Directors for Capital Power declared a dividend of $0.5475 per share on the outstanding common shares for the quarter ending September 30, 2021. The dividend is payable on October 29, ...
Capital Power reports strong second quarter results, increases its 2021 financial guidance, and announces a 6.8% common share dividend increase
Capital Power today released financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2021.