Quality Wind is located on approximately 4,250 acres of provincial Crown Land near Tumbler Ridge in northeastern British Columbia. Power generated at the facility is sold to BC Hydro under a 25-year Energy Purchase Agreement.
- Facility comprised of 79 Vestas (35 V90 models and 44 V100 models), each 95 metres high and capable of producing up to 1.8 MW of clean power
- Facility capable of generating enough renewable power to meet the average annual needs of approximately 43,000 homes (based on average household energy use of 1000 kWh/month)
- Interconnection through 230kV 22km long transmission line to BC Hydro substation
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Quality Wind:
- We have one permanent employee at the facility and 8 full-time contractors.
- We pay approximately $2,900,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- District of Tumbler Ridge
- Tumbler Ridge Days Society
- Wolverine Nordic and Mountain Society
- Northeast BC Crime Stoppers Society
- Tumbler Ridge Minor Hockey
Helping to diversify the means of electricity production within the province, our Quality Wind facility is supplying renewable energy to British Columbia’s power grid.
Capital Power announces date for release of fourth quarter 2019 financial results, 2019 annual integrated report and analyst conference call
Capital Power will release its fourth quarter and year-ended 2019 results before the markets open on February 24, 2020. Management will host a conference call with analysts on the same day at 9:00 ...
Excellence in Action: Delivering Responsible Energy for 2020
As we kick off 2020 and venture into a new decade, Capital Power continues to be committed to driving innovation, growing our business and optimizing our operations to deliver Responsible Energy fo...
Whitla Wind: Transforming Headwinds into Wind Energy Success
Read our blog from By Darcy Trufyn, Senior Vice President, Operations, Engineering and Construction