Quality Wind is located on approximately 4,250 acres of provincial Crown Land near Tumbler Ridge in northeastern British Columbia. Power generated at the facility is sold to BC Hydro under a 25-year Energy Purchase Agreement.
- Facility comprised of 79 Vestas (35 V90 models and 44 V100 models), each 95 metres high and capable of producing up to 1.8 MW of clean power
- Interconnection through 230kV 22km long transmission line to BC Hydro substation
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Quality Wind:
- We have one permanent employee at the facility and 8 full-time contractors.
- We pay approximately $2,900,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- District of Tumbler Ridge
- Tumbler Ridge Days Society
- Wolverine Nordic and Mountain Society
- Northeast BC Crime Stoppers Society
- Tumbler Ridge Minor Hockey
Helping to diversify the means of electricity production within the province, our Quality Wind facility is supplying renewable energy to British Columbia’s power grid.
Capital Power advances carbon capture project at Genesee
Partnering with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group and Kiewit Energy Group to capture 3 million tonnes of CO2 per year
Capital Power has partnered with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group (“MHI Group”) and Kiewit Energy Group (“Kiewit”) on a front-end engineering and design (FEED) study for the Genesee CCS Project (t...
Capital Power announces Board appointment
Jill Gardiner, Chair of the Board for Capital Power is pleased to announce the appointment of Gary Bosgoed to the Company’s Board of Directors effective June 1, 2022.
Capital Power announces a 4.5-year contract renewal for Island Generation
Capital Power announced today the execution of a 4.5-year Electricity Purchase Agreement (EPA) through October 2026 for its Island Generation facility with BC Hydro. The EPA is subject to regulator...