Whitla Wind is the largest wind facility in Alberta. Located in the County of Forty Mile, the Whitla Wind facility was completed on December 1, 2021, when the Phases 2 and 3 expansions achieved commercial operations (Phase 1 began commercial operations on December 1, 2019). Construction of all three phases of the facility were completed on-schedule and on-budget.
- Comprised of 98 Vestas V136 – 3.6 MW wind turbines with a hub height of 105 metres and blade rotor diameter of 136 metres
- In December 2017, Phase 1 of the facility was 1 of 4 successful wind projects awarded a 20-year contract by the AESO as part of the first round of the Renewable Electricity Program
- In September 2021, we announced a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC for 25 MW of capacity and associated environmental attributes from Phases 2 and 3 of the facility.
- In March 2022, we announced a 10-year renewable power purchase agreement with MEGlobal Canada ULC for 126 MW of capacity and associated environmental attributes from Phases 2 and 3 of facility.
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community, when possible.
At Whitla Wind:
- We employ one permanent employee and several contractors.
- Our permanent presence will also contribute significantly to the local economy through a new and steady stream of municipal tax revenue, annual lease revenues to landowners, and economic offshoots for local businesses.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Bow Island Foremost Victim Services Golf Tournament
- Bow Island Children’s Festival
- Forty Mile Regional FCSS
- Annual Foremost Rodeo
- Burdett 105th Anniversary Committee
- Foremost Municipal Library
- Bow Island Municipal Library
- Pleasant View Seniors Lodge
- Bow Island Minor Hockey Association
- Southern Alberta MedicAir Society HALO
- County of Forty Mile Food Bank
- Bow Island and District Health Foundation
Whitla Wind is the largest wind facility in Alberta at 353 MW – completion of this project supports our purpose to power a sustainable future for people and planet.
Brian Vaasjo, President and CEO
President and CEO
Capital Power advances carbon capture project at Genesee
Partnering with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group and Kiewit Energy Group to capture 3 million tonnes of CO2 per year
Capital Power has partnered with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group (“MHI Group”) and Kiewit Energy Group (“Kiewit”) on a front-end engineering and design (FEED) study for the Genesee CCS Project (t...
Capital Power announces Board appointment
Jill Gardiner, Chair of the Board for Capital Power is pleased to announce the appointment of Gary Bosgoed to the Company’s Board of Directors effective June 1, 2022.
Capital Power announces a 4.5-year contract renewal for Island Generation
Capital Power announced today the execution of a 4.5-year Electricity Purchase Agreement (EPA) through October 2026 for its Island Generation facility with BC Hydro. The EPA is subject to regulator...