Whitla Wind is the largest wind facility in Alberta. Located in the County of Forty Mile, the Whitla Wind facility was completed on December 1, 2021, when the Phases 2 and 3 expansions achieved commercial operations (Phase 1 began commercial operations on December 1, 2019). Construction of all three phases of the facility were completed on-schedule and on-budget.
- Comprised of 98 Vestas V136 – 3.6 MW wind turbines with a hub height of 105 metres and blade rotor diameter of 136 metres
- In December 2017, Phase 1 of the facility was 1 of 4 successful wind projects awarded a 20-year contract by the AESO as part of the first round of the Renewable Electricity Program
- In September 2021, we announced a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC for 25 MW of capacity and associated environmental attributes from Phases 2 and 3 of the facility. We’re in active discussions with commercial and industrial customers for renewable offtake contracts for the uncontracted generation from Phases 2 and 3 of the facility.
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community, when possible.
At Whitla Wind:
- We employ one permanent employee and several contractors.
- Our permanent presence will also contribute significantly to the local economy through a new and steady stream of municipal tax revenue, annual lease revenues to landowners, and economic offshoots for local businesses.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Bow Island Foremost Victim Services Golf Tournament
- Bow Island Children’s Festival
- Forty Mile Regional FCSS
- Annual Foremost Rodeo
- Burdett 105th Anniversary Committee
- Foremost Municipal Library
- Bow Island Municipal Library
- Pleasant View Seniors Lodge
- Bow Island Minor Hockey Association
- Southern Alberta MedicAir Society HALO
- County of Forty Mile Food Bank
- Bow Island and District Health Foundation
Whitla Wind is the largest wind facility in Alberta at 353 MW – completion of this project supports our purpose to power a sustainable future for people and planet.
Brian Vaasjo, President and CEO
President and CEO
Capital Power announces a 6-year tolling agreement extension for Arlington Valley
Extension to yield materially higher adjusted funds from operations over extended term
Capital Power announced today the execution of a 6-year tolling agreement extension through October 2031 for its Arlington Valley (Arlington) facility with the current counterparty. Arlington is a ...
Capital Power highlights strong cash flows and dividend growth guidance to 2025 at Investor Day
Announces acquisition of a portfolio of renewable development sites, construction plans for phase 2 of Halkirk Wind and decarbonization
At its 13th annual Investor Day event being held virtually today, Capital Power Corporation will review its financial outlook and highlight progress on its decarbonization plans, including acquisit...
Capital Power and Enbridge Collaborate to Reduce CO2 Emissions in Alberta
Open access carbon hub in Wabamun area of central Alberta would support Capital Power and other local companies
Capital Power and Enbridge Inc. are pleased to announce a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on carbon capture and storage (CCS) solutions in the Wabamun area west of Edmonton, Alberta, ne...