On December 1, 2019, Whitla Wind 1, located in the County of Forty Mile, Alberta, began commercial operations. Construction of the facility began in September 2018 and was completed on schedule and on budget within its $315 million to $325 million target. In December 2017, Whitla Wind 1 was one of four successful wind projects that was awarded a 20-year contract by the AESO in the first round of the Renewable Electricity Program which attracted global competition. At the end of 2019, we announced we are proceeding with the development of Whitla Wind 2. The 97 MW facility is expected in 2021.
- Comprised of 56 Vestas V136 – 3.6 MW wind turbines with a hub height of 105 metres and blade rotor diameter of 136 metres
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community, when possible.
At Whitla Wind 1:
- We employ one permanent employee and several contractors.
- Our permanent presence will also contribute significantly to the local economy through a new and steady stream of municipal tax revenue, annual lease revenues to landowners, and economic offshoots for local businesses.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Bow Island Foremost Victim Services Golf Tournament
- Bow Island Children’s Festival
- Forty Mile Regional FCSS
- Annual Foremost Rodeo
- Burdett 105th Anniversary Committee
- Foremost Municipal Library
- Bow Island Municipal Library
- Pleasant View Seniors Lodge
- Bow Island Minor Hockey Association
- Southern Alberta MedicAir Society HALO
- County of Forty Mile Food Bank
- Bow Island and District Health Foundation
Whitla Wind 1 advances our disciplined growth strategy as we continue to expand our renewable energy portfolio, which supports our long-term vision for sustainability and green energy sources.
Brian Vaasjo, President and CEO
President and CEO
Capital Power to release third quarter 2021 financial results and hold analyst conference call on October 27
Capital Power will release its third quarter 2021 results before the markets open on October 27, 2021. Management will host a conference call with analysts on the same day at 9:00 a.m. MDT (11:00 a...
Capital Power announces long-term renewable power purchase agreement with Dow
Agreement for Whitla Wind capacity demonstrates how cross-industry collaboration contributes to a sustainable future
Capital Power announced today a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC, a subsidiary of Dow (NYSE: DOW), for 25 megawatts (MW) of capacity and the associated enviro...
Capital Power announces a 6.8% dividend increase for its common shares and declares dividends for its Preference shares
The Board of Directors for Capital Power declared a dividend of $0.5475 per share on the outstanding common shares for the quarter ending September 30, 2021. The dividend is payable on October 29, ...