On December 1, 2019, Whitla Wind 1, located in the County of Forty Mile, Alberta, began commercial operations. Construction of the facility began in September 2018 and was completed on schedule and on budget within its $315 million to $325 million target. In December 2017, Whitla Wind 1 was one of four successful wind projects that was awarded a 20-year contract by the AESO in the first round of the Renewable Electricity Program which attracted global competition. At the end of 2019, we announced we are proceeding with the development of Whitla Wind 2. The 97 MW facility is expected in 2021.
- Comprised of 56 Vestas V136 – 3.6 MW wind turbines with a hub height of 105 metres and blade rotor diameter of 136 metres
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community, when possible.
At Whitla Wind 1:
- We employ one permanent employee and several contractors.
- Our permanent presence will also contribute significantly to the local economy through a new and steady stream of municipal tax revenue, annual lease revenues to landowners, and economic offshoots for local businesses.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Bow Island Foremost Victim Services Golf Tournament
- Bow Island Children’s Festival
- Forty Mile Regional FCSS
- Annual Foremost Rodeo
- Burdett 105th Anniversary Committee
- Foremost Municipal Library
- Bow Island Municipal Library
- Pleasant View Seniors Lodge
- Bow Island Minor Hockey Association
- Southern Alberta MedicAir Society HALO
- County of Forty Mile Food Bank
- Bow Island and District Health Foundation
Whitla Wind 1 advances our disciplined growth strategy as we continue to expand our renewable energy portfolio, which supports our long-term vision for sustainability and green energy sources.
Brian Vaasjo, President and CEO
President and CEO
Capital Power to host virtual Investor Day event
Capital Power will be hosting its 12th annual Investor Day event on December 3, 2020.
Capital Power reports strong third quarter 2020 results highlighted by 10-year contract extension for Decatur Energy
Continued growth in contracted renewables with new solar projects in the U.S.
Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) today released financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2020.
Capital Power declares dividends for its Common and Preference shares
Capital Power) declared a dividend of $0.5125 per share on the outstanding common shares for the quarter ending December 31, 2020. The dividend is payable on January 29, 2021 to shareholders of rec...