Cardinal Point Wind is located on 20,000 acres of privately-owned lands in McDonough and Warren Counties, Illinois. Construction was completed on-schedule with commercial operations beginning on March 16, 2020. Construction costs are expected to be within its projected total cost of US$236 million to US$246 million. Cardinal Point Wind will operate under a 12-year fixed price contract with an investment-grade U.S. financial institution covering 85% of the facility’s output. Under the contract, Capital Power will swap the market revenue of the facility’s generation for a fixed-price payment over a 12-year term. Fixed-price Renewable Energy Credit (REC) contracts have been secured with three Illinois utilities (Ameren, ComEd and MidAmerican) for a period of 15 years.
- Comprised of 60 General Electric wind turbines, sitting on 89 metre towers (~292 ft) with 62.2 metre blades (~204 ft) at a total height of approximately 151.2 metres (~496 ft)
- Interconnection at Ameren’s 138-kV Macomb-Niota transmission line
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community, when possible.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Macomb / McDonough County Out of the Darkness Walk
- Warren County Prime Beef Festival
- Monmouth Police Department Shop with a Cop
- Good Hope Turkey Trot
- Genesis Garden
- Jamieson Community Center Inc
- Loaves and Fishes Etc.
- Colchester Labor Day Celebration
- McDonough County Police Department Buddy Program
Adding Cardinal Point Wind to Capital Power’s generation assets continues the growth of our renewable portfolio across North America and demonstrates continued execution of this core element of our strategy.
Senior Vice President, Operations, Engineering and Construction
Email: [email protected]