Cardinal Point Wind is located on 20,000 acres of privately-owned lands in McDonough and Warren Counties, Illinois. Construction of the 150 MW facility commenced in May 2019 and it is expected to begin commercial operation in March 2020. Cardinal Point Wind will operate under a 12-year fixed price contract with an investment-grade U.S. financial institution covering 85% of the facility’s output, beginning in 2021. Under the contract, Capital Power will swap the market revenue of the facility’s generation for a fixed-price payment over a 12-year term. Fixed-price Renewable Energy Credit (REC) contracts have been secured with three Illinois utilities (Ameren, ComEd and MidAmerican) for a period of 15 years.
*Expected to be in operation in Q1 2020
- Approximately 250,000 hours will be required for project construction with a peak of up to 200 workers on site
- Project will consist of 60 General Electric wind turbines, sitting on 89 metre towers (~292-ft) with 62.2 metre blades (~204-feet) at a total height of approximately 151.2 metres (496-feet)
- Anticipated cost to complete the facility is between $289 million and $301 million (US$236 million to US$246 million)
- Planned interconnection at Ameren’s 138-kV Macomb-Niota transmission line
Our goal for every project, every facility and every initiative, internal and external, is to build, operate, and align with the interests and priorities of those closest to, and most impacted by, our operations. During construction, we are conscious of local economic and community activity and work safely, responsibly and efficiently to minimize disruptions.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Macomb / McDonough County Out of the Darkness Walk
- Warren County Prime Beef Festival
- Monmouth Police Department Shop with a Cop
- Good Hope Turkey Trot
- Genesis Garden
- Jamieson Community Center Inc
- Loaves and Fishes Etc.
- Colchester Labor Day Celebration
- McDonough County Police Department Buddy Program
Adding Cardinal Point Wind to Capital Power’s generation assets continues the growth of our renewable portfolio across North America and demonstrates continued execution of this core element of our strategy.
Senior Vice President, Operations, Engineering and Construction
Funding Disciplined Growth to Build Shareholder Value
At a high level, our capital allocation strategy allows us to fund growth by taking 50% of our free cash flow over the long-term and provide that back to investors in the form of dividends, while u...
Capital Power announces $275 million medium term note offering
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (“Capital Power”) (TSX:CPX) announced today that it has priced a public offering in Canada of unsecured medium term notes in the aggregate principal am...
Capital Power to host annual Investor Day event
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power (TSX: CPX) will be hosting its 11th annual Investor Day event in Toronto. Members of the executive leadership team will present on various topics including the exe...