Acquired in June 2017, Decatur Energy Center is an 855 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power generation plant, located in Decatur, Alabama. The facility operates under a tolling agreement and is fully contracted until the end of 2032. Decatur Energy Center is located on property owned by Ascend Performance Materials LLC, and has an agreement to provide demineralized water to Ascend.
- Combined cycle facility configured as 3 x 1, comprised of 3 Siemens SGT6-5000FD2 combustion turbine generators, 3 Nooter Eriksen heat recovery steam generators, and a single Toshiba steam turbine generator
- Emissions controlled through selective catalytic reduction and a dry-low NOx combustion system
- Facility sells capacity and energy to a regional entity with an A-rated credit rating under a tolling agreement that was extended in August 2020; the 10-year tolling agreement extension contracts the facility through to December 2032
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Decatur Energy Center:
- We employ 25 full-time and 4 part-time employees, as well as numerous contractors.
- We pay approximately $590,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community giving includes:
- Lexi House Inc
- 4-H Horse Club’s Special Needs Rodeo
- North Alabama Christian Children’s Home
- Committee on Church Cooperation
- COC FOOD PANTRY & Soup Kitchen
- Habitat For Humanity of Morgan County
- Enchanted Forest of Decatur
- Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic
Utilizing advanced and reliable technology, the Decatur Energy Center delivers significant generation capacity to the Southeastern Electric Reliability Council (SERC) market.
Capital Power demonstrates commitment to net carbon neutrality by 2050 with closing of $1 billion Sustainability-Linked Credit facilities
Company’s inaugural ESG-focused credit facilities tied to 65% reduction of GHG emissions intensity by 2030 target
Capital Power announced today the closing of its inaugural $1 billion Sustainability-Linked Credit facilities (“SLCs”). The Company extended and amended its existing committed credit facilities tra...
Capital Power to release second quarter 2021 financial results and hold analyst conference call on July 30
Capital Power will release its Q2 2021 results before the markets open on July 30, 2021. Management will host a conference call with analysts on the same day at 9:00 a.m. MDT (11:00 a.m. EDT) to di...
Capital Power’s commitment to sustainability and net carbon neutrality underscored through membership in Powering Past Coal Alliance
Capital Power announced today it has joined the Powering Past Coal Alliance, a coalition of national and sub-national governments, businesses and organizations, co-chaired by the UK and Canadian go...