Acquired in June 2017, Decatur Energy Center is a 825 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power generation plant, located in Decatur, Alabama. The facility operates under a tolling agreement and is fully contracted until the end of 2022. Decatur Energy Center is located on property owned by Ascend Performance Materials LLC, and has an agreement to provide demineralized water to Ascend.
- Combined cycle facility configured as 3 x 1, comprised of 3 Siemens SGT6-5000FD2 combustion turbine generators, 3 Nooter Eriksen heat recovery steam generators, and a single Toshiba steam turbine generator
- Emissions controlled through selective catalytic reduction and a dry-low NOx combustion system
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Decatur Energy Center:
- We employ 25 full-time and 4 part-time employees, as well as numerous contractors.
- We pay approximately $590,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community giving includes:
- Lexi House Inc
- 4-H Horse Club’s Special Needs Rodeo
- North Alabama Christian Children’s Home
- Committee on Church Cooperation
- COC FOOD PANTRY & Soup Kitchen
- Habitat For Humanity of Morgan County
- Enchanted Forest of Decatur
- Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic
Utilizing advanced and reliable technology, the Decatur Energy Center delivers significant generation capacity to the Southeastern Electric Reliability Council (SERC) market.
Capital Power completes acquisition of Buckthorn Wind and receives tax equity financing for Cardinal Point Wind
Capital Power announced today that it has successfully completed the acquisition of Buckthorn Wind from private investors. Buckthorn Wind is a 100.5 megawatt wind facility that is located in Erath ...
Message from Brian Vaasjo, CEO and President
Capital Power's Response to COVID-19: A Message from Brian Vaasjo, CEO and President
Capital Power adds 250 megawatts of long-term contracted wind generation to its renewable portfolio
Capital Power announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire a 100% ownership interest in Buckthorn Wind, a 100.5 megawatt wind facility, from private investors.