Strathmore Solar is located on 320 acres of leased industrial land owned by the Town of Strathmore in Alberta. Construction was completed on schedule with commercial operations beginning in March 2022. In November 2020, Capital Power executed a 25-year power purchase agreement with TELUS Corporation for all the energy and renewable energy credits generated by the facility.
Local sheep set to sustainably manage the land
We’re excited to host 400-600 sheep from Whispering Cedars Ranch to graze at the Strathmore Solar facility – helping us to sustainably manage the land on site to reduce fire hazards and help keep the facility well-maintained. This mutually beneficial opportunity maximizes the utility of the solar site by offering local farmers additional land for their animals to graze, grow and thrive.
- Strathmore Solar is Capital Power’s first Canadian solar project
- Consists of 109,174 LONGi LR4-HBD-445M and LR40HBD-450M photovoltaic panels mounted on a DuraTrack HZ v3 tracking system. The horizontal single-axis tracking system automatically changes the angle of the panels throughout the day as the sun passes from east to west to produce more solar energy.
- Solar panels utilize bifacial solar panel technology, which absorbs light from the top and bottom of the panel
- Single-axis tracking system and bifacial technology increase efficiency and facility output by up to 25% compared to a fixed axis system with monofacial solar technology
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community, when possible.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Great War Memorial Hall Centennial Golf Tournament
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 10
- Strathmore High School Community Greenhouse Project
- Strathmore Stampede
- Wheatland County Food Bank Society