Halkirk Wind is located on approximately 25,000 acres of private land in Paintearth County No. 18 (40 KM east of Stettler in east-central Alberta). Power generated at this facility is sold into Alberta’s electricity spot market. Additionally, Capital Power sells Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) from the facility to Pacific Gas and Electric Company under a 20-year fixed-price agreement.
- Halkirk Wind consists of 83 Vestas V-90 turbines, sitting atop 80-metre high towers with rotor diameters of 90 metres and blade lengths of 44 metres
- Each turbine can produce up to 1.8 MW of power
- Halkirk Wind is capable of supplying enough clean energy to meet the average annual power needs of 50,000 homes
- Interconnection at Tincherbay Substation
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Halkirk Wind:
- We employ one permanent employee and 10 contractors.
- We pay approximately $2,587,000 in property and linear tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Halkirk Elks Bullarama (since 2013)
- Halkirk Elks Seafood Comedy Night (since 2013)
- Halkirk Fire Department Equipment Upgrade
- Castor and District Rodeo (since 2013)
- Castor Fire and Rescue Comedy Night
At Halkirk, community is our commitment and the wind is what fuels our passion.
Capital Power completes acquisition of Buckthorn Wind and receives tax equity financing for Cardinal Point Wind
Capital Power announced today that it has successfully completed the acquisition of Buckthorn Wind from private investors. Buckthorn Wind is a 100.5 megawatt wind facility that is located in Erath ...
Message from Brian Vaasjo, CEO and President
Capital Power's Response to COVID-19: A Message from Brian Vaasjo, CEO and President
Capital Power adds 250 megawatts of long-term contracted wind generation to its renewable portfolio
Capital Power announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire a 100% ownership interest in Buckthorn Wind, a 100.5 megawatt wind facility, from private investors.