Halkirk Wind is located on approximately 25,000 acres of private land in Paintearth County No. 18 (40 KM east of Stettler in east-central Alberta). Power generated at this facility is sold into Alberta’s electricity spot market. Additionally, Capital Power sells Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) from the facility to Pacific Gas and Electric Company under a 20-year fixed-price agreement.
- Halkirk Wind consists of 83 Vestas V-90 turbines, sitting atop 80-metre high towers with rotor diameters of 90 metres and blade lengths of 44 metres
- Each turbine can produce up to 1.8 MW of power
- Interconnection at Tincherbay Substation
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Halkirk Wind:
- We employ one permanent employee and 10 contractors.
- We pay approximately $2,587,000 in property and linear tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Halkirk Elks Bullarama (since 2013)
- Halkirk Elks Seafood Comedy Night (since 2013)
- Halkirk Fire Department Equipment Upgrade
- Castor and District Rodeo (since 2013)
- Castor Fire and Rescue Comedy Night
At Halkirk, community is our commitment and the wind is what fuels our passion.
Capital Power announces conversion results for its Preferred Shares (Series 1)
Capital Power announced today that after having taken into account all Election Notices following the December 16, 2020 conversion deadline, in respect of the Cumulative Rate Reset Preference Share...
Capital Power accelerating plans towards a low carbon future
Repowering Genesee 1 and 2, off-coal in 2023; advancing renewables growth strategy including Enchant Solar project and 25-year contract for Strathmore Solar
12th annual Investor Day event being held in a virtual format today, Capital Power will provide updates on the execution of its growth and sustainability strategy including the repowering of its Ge...
Capital Power provides notice of Preferred Shares (Series 1) conversion privilege and dividend rate notice
Capital Power announced today that it has notified registered shareholders of its Cumulative Rate Reset Preference Shares, Series 1 (Series 1 Shares) (TSX: CPX.PR.A) of the Conversion Privilege and...