Located on 15,000 acres of privately-owned lands across Ford and Clark Counties in Kansas, Bloom Wind is perfectly positioned to take advantage of one of the strongest wind regimes in the U.S. Capital Power operates Bloom Wind under a 10-year fixed price contract with Allianz Risk Transfer (ART), a subsidiary of Allianz SE, covering 100% of the project’s output. Under the terms of the contract, executed in 2016, Capital Power will swap the market revenue from the project’s generation for a fixed annual payment for the 10-year term. The agreement secures long-term predictable revenues and mitigates generation volume uncertainty related to wind resources.
- Consists of 54 Vestas V117 3.3 MW turbines, each with a hub height of 91.5 metres and rotor diameter of 117 metres
- Interconnection at 345 kV Clark County Substation
- Recognized in March 2016 by IJGlobal infrastructure and project finance magazine as the North American Wind Deal of the Year for use of the innovative swap agreement
- In November 2016, Microsoft Corp. became the first buyer to participate in this structure, acquiring the environmental attributes connected to Bloom Wind from ART for a 10-year period
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At Bloom Wind:
- We employ one permanent employee and four contractor companies, including Vestas.
- We pay approximately $704,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Kansas Food Bank Warehouse Inc
- Minneola Wellness Center
- Minneola After Prom
- Minneola Fire Department
- Ford County Fire & EMS
Taking advantage of the strong wind regime in southwestern Kansas, our Bloom Wind facility provides renewable energy for the local grid.
Email: [email protected]