Powering Our Future
Our impact on the environment is something we take seriously, think about daily, and have been working on to ensure a sustainable future since 2009. Today, we’re laying the groundwork to meet our goal of being net zero by 2045.
We believe in our industry’s power to promote environmental stewardship, and in our duty to undertake initiatives that ensure our efforts to power the planet now don’t come at a cost later. We work to reduce our impacts on the environment, improve our performance and cultivate a future for low-carbon power generation.
We’re on the path toward a cleaner energy future and are advancing low-carbon energy through investments in innovative technology and new, cleaner energy sources with the integration of natural gas and renewables.
To ensure our environment is taken care of and can be enjoyed for generations to come, we:
- Are repowering our Genesee Generating Station to move off-coal. Once completed, the facility will:
- Utilize best-in-class natural gas combined cycle (NGCC) technology, positioning Genesee Units 1 and 2 to be the most efficient NGCC units in Canada,
- Be carbon conversion capable, and
- Achieve significant environmental benefits including CO2 emissions expected to be approx. 3.4 million tonnes per year lower than 2019 emission levels.
- Create a culture of zero environmental incidents.
- Research and invest in innovative solutions that will create a low-carbon energy future.
- Work with respected experts to methodically prepare environmental evaluation reports, examining potential impacts to terrain and soils, vegetation communities/species and wetlands, wildlife and wildlife habitats, and groundwater. We take the findings in these reports seriously and make decisions in line with their recommendations.
- Work to minimize our impacts and create long-term sustainability through conservation and sustainability initiatives, including:
- Peregrine Falcon Monitoring Program: Our Genesee Generating Station is an active nesting site and has been part of the recovery and maintenance of Peregrine Falcon populations in Alberta since the early 1990s.
- Land Reclamation and Reforestation: We’re proud to host researchers from the NAIT Boreal Research Institute at our Genesee Generating Station mine to test the efficacy of various reclamation strategies.
Our Sustainability Record
Capital Power is built on a foundation of honesty. We report on our actions and performance, and continue to evaluate and evolve our climate- and ESG-related reporting to clearly demonstrate our vision, purpose, strategy, and value creation. We are dedicated to transparency in our sustainability efforts and are proud to share an Integrated Annual Report.View our Reports
Capital Power completes acquisition of the 1,092-MW Harquahala natural gas generation facility in Arizona
Capital Power is pleased to announce the closing today of the acquisition by a 50/50 partnership between Capital Power Investments, LLC and an affiliate of a fund managed by BlackRock’s Diversified...
Capital Power completes acquisition of the La Paloma facility, anticipates closing the Harquahala facility acquisition mid-February and exchanges subscription receipts into common shares
Capital Power is pleased to announce the closing today of the acquisition of 100% of the equity interests in CXA La Paloma, LLC (“La Paloma”), owner of the 1,062 MW La Paloma natural gas-fired gene...
Capital Power to release fourth quarter 2023 results and 2023 Integrated Annual Report on February 28
Capital Power will release its fourth quarter and year-end 2023 results and 2023 Integrated Annual Report (IAR) before the markets open on February 28, 2024.