Powering Our Future
Our impact on the environment is something we take seriously, think about daily, and have been working on to ensure a sustainable future since 2009.
We believe in our industry’s power to promote environmental stewardship, and in our duty to undertake initiatives that ensure our efforts to power the planet now don’t come at a cost later. We work to reduce our impacts on the environment, improve our performance and cultivate a future for low-carbon power generation.
We are on the path toward a cleaner energy future and are advancing low-carbon energy through investments in innovative technology and new, cleaner energy sources with the integration of natural gas and renewables.
To ensure our environment is taken care of and is able to be enjoyed for generations to come, we:
- Create a culture of zero environmental incidents.
- Reduce our carbon emissions. We will improve the efficiency at the Genesee Generating Station by 10% by 2021 and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by roughly one million tonnes.
- Research and invest in innovative solutions that will create a low-carbon energy future.
- Work with respected experts to methodically prepare environmental evaluation reports, examining potential impacts to terrain and soils, vegetation communities/species and wetlands, wildlife and wildlife habitats, and groundwater. We take the findings in these reports seriously and make decisions in line with their recommendations.
- Work to minimize our impacts and create long-term sustainability through conservation and sustainability initiatives, including:
- Peregrine Falcon Monitoring Program: Our Genesee Generating Station is an active nesting site and has been part of the recovery and maintenance of Peregrine Falcon populations in Alberta since the early 1990s.
- Land Reclamation and Reforestation: We are proud to host researchers from the NAIT Boreal Research Institute at our Genesee Generating Station mine to test the efficacy of various reclamation strategies.
Our Sustainability Record
Capital Power is built on a foundation of honesty. We are dedicated to transparency in our sustainability efforts and are proud to share an annual Corporate Sustainability Report and Climate Change Disclosure, as well as participate in the Carbon Disclosure Project.View our Reports
Capital Power and its employees contribute $400,000 in support of Alberta COVID-19 relief efforts
Capital Power and its employees have donated $400,000 in support of COVID-19 relief efforts in Alberta, raised through the Company’s ‘GENerosity: Let’s Rally Together’ matched-giving campaign and a...
Capital Power reports voting results from the 2020 annual meeting of shareholders
The annual meeting of shareholders for Capital Power was held on May 1, 2020 in Edmonton, Alberta. Each of the matters voted upon at the annual meeting is discussed in detail in the Company’s Manag...
Capital Power reports solid first quarter 2020 results and reiterates its 2020 financial guidance
Capital Power released financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2020.