Powering Our Future
Our impact on the environment is something we take seriously, think about daily, and have been working on to ensure a sustainable future since 2009. Today, we’re laying the groundwork to meet our goal of being net carbon neutral by 2050.
We believe in our industry’s power to promote environmental stewardship, and in our duty to undertake initiatives that ensure our efforts to power the planet now don’t come at a cost later. We work to reduce our impacts on the environment, improve our performance and cultivate a future for low-carbon power generation.
We are on the path toward a cleaner energy future and are advancing low-carbon energy through investments in innovative technology and new, cleaner energy sources with the integration of natural gas and renewables.
To ensure our environment is taken care of and is able to be enjoyed for generations to come, we:
- Are repowering our Genesee Generating Station to move off-coal in 2023, more than 6 years ahead of government mandate. Once completed, the facility will:
- Utilize best-in-class natural gas combined cycle (NGCC) technology, positioning Genesee Units 1 and 2 to be the most efficient NGCC units in Canada,
- Be carbon conversion ready and 30% hydrogen ready when repowering is completed, as well as upgradable to 95% hydrogen ready, and
- achieve significant environmental benefits including CO2 emissions expected to be Approx. 3.4 million tonnes per year lower than 2019 emission levels.
- Create a culture of zero environmental incidents.
- Research and invest in innovative solutions that will create a low-carbon energy future.
- Work with respected experts to methodically prepare environmental evaluation reports, examining potential impacts to terrain and soils, vegetation communities/species and wetlands, wildlife and wildlife habitats, and groundwater. We take the findings in these reports seriously and make decisions in line with their recommendations.
- Work to minimize our impacts and create long-term sustainability through conservation and sustainability initiatives, including:
- Peregrine Falcon Monitoring Program: Our Genesee Generating Station is an active nesting site and has been part of the recovery and maintenance of Peregrine Falcon populations in Alberta since the early 1990s.
- Land Reclamation and Reforestation: We are proud to host researchers from the NAIT Boreal Research Institute at our Genesee Generating Station mine to test the efficacy of various reclamation strategies.
Our Sustainability Record
Capital Power is built on a foundation of honesty. We report on our actions and performance, and continue to evaluate and evolve our climate- and ESG -related reporting to clearly demonstrate our vision, purpose, strategy, and value creation. We are dedicated to transparency in our sustainability efforts and are proud to share an Integrated Annual Report and annual Climate Change Disclosure, as well as participate in CDP.View our Reports
Capital Power announces a 6-year tolling agreement extension for Arlington Valley
Extension to yield materially higher adjusted funds from operations over extended term
Capital Power announced today the execution of a 6-year tolling agreement extension through October 2031 for its Arlington Valley (Arlington) facility with the current counterparty. Arlington is a ...
Capital Power highlights strong cash flows and dividend growth guidance to 2025 at Investor Day
Announces acquisition of a portfolio of renewable development sites, construction plans for phase 2 of Halkirk Wind and decarbonization
At its 13th annual Investor Day event being held virtually today, Capital Power Corporation will review its financial outlook and highlight progress on its decarbonization plans, including acquisit...
Capital Power and Enbridge Collaborate to Reduce CO2 Emissions in Alberta
Open access carbon hub in Wabamun area of central Alberta would support Capital Power and other local companies
Capital Power and Enbridge Inc. are pleased to announce a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on carbon capture and storage (CCS) solutions in the Wabamun area west of Edmonton, Alberta, ne...