Powering Our Future
Our impact on the environment is something we take seriously, think about daily, and have been working on to ensure a sustainable future since 2009. Today, we’re laying the groundwork to meet our goal of being net carbon neutral before 2050.
We believe in our industry’s power to promote environmental stewardship, and in our duty to undertake initiatives that ensure our efforts to power the planet now don’t come at a cost later. We work to reduce our impacts on the environment, improve our performance and cultivate a future for low-carbon power generation.
We are on the path toward a cleaner energy future and are advancing low-carbon energy through investments in innovative technology and new, cleaner energy sources with the integration of natural gas and renewables.
To ensure our environment is taken care of and is able to be enjoyed for generations to come, we:
- Are repowering our Genesee Generating Station to move off-coal in 2023, more than 6 years ahead of government mandate. Once completed, the facility will:
- Utilize best-in-class natural gas combined cycle (NGCC) technology, positioning Genesee Units 1 and 2 to be the most efficient NGCC units in Canada,
- Be carbon conversion ready and 30% hydrogen ready when repowering is completed, as well as upgradable to 95% hydrogen ready, and
- achieve significant environmental benefits including CO2 emissions expected to be Approx. 3.4 million tonnes per year lower than 2019 emission levels.
- Create a culture of zero environmental incidents.
- Research and invest in innovative solutions that will create a low-carbon energy future.
- Work with respected experts to methodically prepare environmental evaluation reports, examining potential impacts to terrain and soils, vegetation communities/species and wetlands, wildlife and wildlife habitats, and groundwater. We take the findings in these reports seriously and make decisions in line with their recommendations.
- Work to minimize our impacts and create long-term sustainability through conservation and sustainability initiatives, including:
- Peregrine Falcon Monitoring Program: Our Genesee Generating Station is an active nesting site and has been part of the recovery and maintenance of Peregrine Falcon populations in Alberta since the early 1990s.
- Land Reclamation and Reforestation: We are proud to host researchers from the NAIT Boreal Research Institute at our Genesee Generating Station mine to test the efficacy of various reclamation strategies.
Our Sustainability Record
Capital Power is built on a foundation of honesty. We report on our actions and performance, and continue to evaluate and evolve our climate- and ESG -related reporting to clearly demonstrate our vision, purpose, strategy, and value creation. We are dedicated to transparency in our sustainability efforts and are proud to share an Integrated Annual Report and annual Climate Change Disclosure, as well as participate in CDP.View our Reports
Capital Power announces conversion results for its Preferred Shares (Series 1)
Capital Power announced today that after having taken into account all Election Notices following the December 16, 2020 conversion deadline, in respect of the Cumulative Rate Reset Preference Share...
Capital Power accelerating plans towards a low carbon future
Repowering Genesee 1 and 2, off-coal in 2023; advancing renewables growth strategy including Enchant Solar project and 25-year contract for Strathmore Solar
12th annual Investor Day event being held in a virtual format today, Capital Power will provide updates on the execution of its growth and sustainability strategy including the repowering of its Ge...
Capital Power provides notice of Preferred Shares (Series 1) conversion privilege and dividend rate notice
Capital Power announced today that it has notified registered shareholders of its Cumulative Rate Reset Preference Shares, Series 1 (Series 1 Shares) (TSX: CPX.PR.A) of the Conversion Privilege and...