Genesee Generating Station
We are leading the way toward a low-carbon future by investing in world-leading efficiency and emissions reduction technologies at our Genesee Generating Station to provide responsible energy for tomorrow. Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee facility consists of three generating units which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation to Albertans.
- We’re repowering our Genesee 1 & 2 to utilize best-in-class natural gas combined cycle (NGCC) technology, positioning them to be the most efficient NGCC units in Canada when completed.
- Genesee 3, one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired units in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta, is undergoing a dual-fuel transition and will be 100% natural gas-fueled in 2023.
- Genesee 1, 2 and 3 will be off-coal in 2023 – 6 years ahead of government mandate.
- Following gas conversion and repowering, physical carbon dioxide emissions at the Genesee facility will be approximately 3.4 million tonnes per year lower than 2019 emission levels.
- Genesee Carbon Conversion Centre (GC3) in development; set to be the largest commercial scale production facility of carbon nanotubes globally.
Genesee Carbon Conversion Centre (GC3)
Capital Power is proceeding with plans to build the world’s largest commercial scale production facility of carbon nanotubes at our Genesee Generating Station. GC3 will utilize emissions and power from the facility alongside C2CNT technology, a carbon conversion solution that transforms emissions into highly valuable carbon nanotubes. The design phase of GC3 is underway with a target completion in the first half of 2022. Learn more.
Coal and Natural Gas
Unit 1 – 1994
Unit 2 – 1989
860 MW (combined)
Genesee Generating Station consists of some of Alberta’s youngest and most efficient thermal generation units. This reliable facility supports the Alberta energy market with baseload power supply and contributes to the economic well-being of the community it operates in. Repowering to best-in-class natural gas units will reduce emissions by 3.4 million tonnes per year and continue to deliver responsible energy for our future.
VP, Solid Fuels
The Genesee Mine operation, located in Leduc County, is a 50/50 joint venture between Capital Power LP and Westmoreland Coal Company. The Genesee Mine will cease operations as the facility transitions to natural gas in 2023. Reclamation work will continue at the mine to return the land to its natural state. See ‘Environmental Initiatives’ section below for further details on our comprehensive reclamation activities.
Reducing Waste and Downstream Emissions – Genesee Mine Ash Recovery Project
More than 99% of the fly ash produced at Genesee is captured by our emission-control systems and then sold for use in the cement industry or stored in approved ash disposal sites within the Genesee Mine. The facility’s transition to natural gas will eliminate the regular supply of fly ash available to these cement manufacturers.
In May 2021, we applied for approval to construct an ash processing facility within the Genesee Mine that can process landfill fly ash for use in cement. Utilizing our existing supply of stored fly ash, this project will recycle that waste and decrease greenhouse gas emissions in the production of cement.
Further information about the proposed project can be found in our Winter 2021 Genesee Connection newsletter.
The Genesee Mine license includes a comprehensive land reclamation plan, including the re-establishment of wetlands and natural creek bodies, and the development of wildlife corridors. The plan also includes topics such as soil recovery and management of noise, dust, surface water and groundwater. Current reclamation activities include:
- Planting spruce, aspen and willow seedlings to create a more diverse landscape that can sustain multiple land uses
- Renting reclaimed land to local farmers to use for crops such as canola, barley, wheat, and alfalfa, or to use as pastureland for cattle
- Bluebird nesting box project to increase Mountain Bluebird populations and encourage nesting of other valuable species
- Supporting research in live root transfer, aspen seedling selection and the establishment of hybrid poplar plantations as ways to create forested areas as part of the reclaimed mine lands
- Wetlands management
- Re-establishment of creeks and drainage channels
- Incorporation of wildlife corridors
- Planting trees along shelter belts
- Establishment of dugouts
Peregrines at Genesee:
Peregrine falcons have made a resurgence throughout North America and can often be found nesting in urban and industrialized areas on tall, human-built structures. The Genesee facility has hosted nesting falcons since the early 1990s. Learn More
Community Investment and Involvement
At Capital Power, we contribute to the communities in which we operate with the aim of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and build real relationships. We aim to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At the Genesee Generating Station:
- We employ more than 200 permanent employees.
- We recognize that transitioning Genesee to natural gas will result in a reduction of staff at the facility, and we’re committed to helping transition staff to new careers or supporting their path to retirement.
- We pay approximately $5,986,000 in property and linear tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community giving:
- Pioneer Agricultural Society Heritage Day
- Community Easter Egg Hunt
- Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) – Volunteer appreciation; Seniors Week; Summer Programs
- Light Up Warburg
- Thorsby Jr / Sr High School Rodeo
- Leduc County’s Genesee Park
- Warburg School
- Warburg Family Halloween Dance
- Thorsby & District Malanka Festival
- Warburg Community BBQ and Chili Cook Off
Connecting with our Neighbours
Capital Power’s relationship with our neighbours is an important focus of our Genesee operations. We have a number of ways for community members to connect with us:
- Speak or meet with our Genesee Land Manager
- Read information in the Genesee Connection newsletter
- Attend project-specific open houses
- Attend a mine, reclamation, crop, plant or station tour
- In-person at Good Neighbour breakfast meetings with Leduc County and Village of Warburg Council members and staff 2-3 times annually
*Note: All in person meetings are currently on hold due to COVID-19. Virtual options to connect with Capital Power are available.
Hunting on Genesee Land
Capital Power works with Hunting for Tomorrow on a hunting program involving migratory birds and a pheasant release program for hunting with primitive weapons such as black powder rifles, crossbows, shotguns with slugs and bow hunting. To hunt on Genesee lands, register at [email protected] or call 1-780-462-2444. As part of this program, hunters provide us with follow-up information on the wildlife they see in the field, providing valuable information in managing overall land use.
Capital Power to release third quarter 2021 financial results and hold analyst conference call on October 27
Capital Power will release its third quarter 2021 results before the markets open on October 27, 2021. Management will host a conference call with analysts on the same day at 9:00 a.m. MDT (11:00 a...
Capital Power announces long-term renewable power purchase agreement with Dow
Agreement for Whitla Wind capacity demonstrates how cross-industry collaboration contributes to a sustainable future
Capital Power announced today a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC, a subsidiary of Dow (NYSE: DOW), for 25 megawatts (MW) of capacity and the associated enviro...
Capital Power announces a 6.8% dividend increase for its common shares and declares dividends for its Preference shares
The Board of Directors for Capital Power declared a dividend of $0.5475 per share on the outstanding common shares for the quarter ending September 30, 2021. The dividend is payable on October 29, ...
Capital Power reports strong second quarter results, increases its 2021 financial guidance, and announces a 6.8% common share dividend increase
Capital Power today released financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2021.
Capital Power demonstrates commitment to net carbon neutrality by 2050 with closing of $1 billion Sustainability-Linked Credit facilities
Company’s inaugural ESG-focused credit facilities tied to 65% reduction of GHG emissions intensity by 2030 target
Capital Power announced today the closing of its inaugural $1 billion Sustainability-Linked Credit facilities (“SLCs”). The Company extended and amended its existing committed credit facilities tra...
Capital Power to release second quarter 2021 financial results and hold analyst conference call on July 30
Capital Power will release its Q2 2021 results before the markets open on July 30, 2021. Management will host a conference call with analysts on the same day at 9:00 a.m. MDT (11:00 a.m. EDT) to di...
Capital Power’s commitment to sustainability and net carbon neutrality underscored through membership in Powering Past Coal Alliance
Capital Power announced today it has joined the Powering Past Coal Alliance, a coalition of national and sub-national governments, businesses and organizations, co-chaired by the UK and Canadian go...
Capital Power’s initial response to BC Hydro’s draft Integrated Resource Plan
Capital Power provides initial response to BC Hydro’s draft Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) submitted to the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC) today.
We rallied together with our employees and raised $365,000 to fight poverty!
We’re pleased to announce that we raised an impressive $365,000 for local poverty-fighting charities and community organizations in 1 week!
Capital Power announces closing of $288 million offering of common shares including the exercise of over-allotment option
Capital Power announced today that it has completed its previously announced public offering of 7,480,750 common shares, which included 975,750 common shares issued pursuant to the full exercise of...