We’re building our 151 MW Whitla Wind 2 project in the County of Forty Mile, Alberta – expanding our 202 MW Whitla Wind 1 facility. The project is currently under construction, with an estimated capital cost of $257 million, and is expected to be online and producing renewable energy by the end of 2021. Capital Power is leveraging its construction experience in Alberta and from Whitla Wind 1 to minimize contingencies and mitigate risks for the project.
Capital Power will use the renewable energy credits generated from the facility and is in active discussions with commercial and industrial customers to sell renewable energy contracts for Whitla Wind 2. In September 2021, Capital Power announced a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC for 25 MW of capacity and associated environmental attributes from the project.
- Project comprised of 42 Vestas V-136 (3.6 MW) wind turbines
The community and economic benefits for the project would be similar to those for Whitla Wind 1, including a new and steady stream of municipal tax revenue, support to local organizations, and annual lease revenues to landowners. Development of the project will generate many construction jobs and subcontracting opportunities.
Capital Power is committed to being a good neighbour. Some examples of our activities and support for local community groups include:
- Bow Island Foremost Victim Services Golf Tournament
- Bow Island Children’s Festival
- Forty Mile Regional FCSS
- Annual Foremost Rodeo
- Burdett 105th Anniversary Committee
- Foremost Municipal Library
- Bow Island Municipal Library
- Pleasant View Seniors Lodge
- Bow Island Minor Hockey Association
- Southern Alberta MedicAir Society HALO
- County of Forty Mile Food Bank
- Bow Island and District Health Foundation