Genesee Station Overview
Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee Generating Station consists of 3 power generation units which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation. Genesee 1 & 2 and Genesee 3 are undergoing repowering and coal-to-gas transformations respectively to move off-coal in 2023.
The 516 MW Genesee 3 is one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired facilities in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta. This unit dispatches a minimum (net) 176 MW of power to the grid. Above that minimum, Capital Power dispatches power to sell on Alberta’s wholesale electricity market.
- In support of our efforts to move off-coal in 2023, Genesee 3 will continue with dual-fuel upgrades to maximize fuel flexibility and expand the use of natural gas before moving to 100% natural gas in 2023.
- Genesee 3 is Canada’s first power generation facility to use supercritical-combustion technology for greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- CO2 emissions are approximately 24% lower than emissions from recently retired coal-fired generators in Alberta
- Environmental performance is enhanced by supercritical combustion and clean air technologies, which achieve greater efficiency and lower CO2, NOx and SO2 emissions per MW compared to older technologies
- Genesee 3’s clean air technology includes:
- Fabric filters that stop 99.8% of particulate matter from reaching the atmosphere
- A flue gas desulphurization unit that brings sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions well below the provincial emission standard, and less than half the emissions produced by vintage facilities
- Low nitrous oxide (NOx) burners that reduce NOx emissions by 70%
Genesee Generating Station consists of some of Alberta’s youngest and most efficient thermal generation units. This reliable facility supports the Alberta energy market with baseload power supply and contributes to the economic well-being of the community it operates in. Repowering to best-in-class natural gas units will reduce emissions by 3.4 million tonnes per year and continue to deliver responsible energy for our future.
VP, Solid Fuels
Capital Power announces a 6-year tolling agreement extension for Arlington Valley
Extension to yield materially higher adjusted funds from operations over extended term
Capital Power announced today the execution of a 6-year tolling agreement extension through October 2031 for its Arlington Valley (Arlington) facility with the current counterparty. Arlington is a ...
Capital Power highlights strong cash flows and dividend growth guidance to 2025 at Investor Day
Announces acquisition of a portfolio of renewable development sites, construction plans for phase 2 of Halkirk Wind and decarbonization
At its 13th annual Investor Day event being held virtually today, Capital Power Corporation will review its financial outlook and highlight progress on its decarbonization plans, including acquisit...
Capital Power and Enbridge Collaborate to Reduce CO2 Emissions in Alberta
Open access carbon hub in Wabamun area of central Alberta would support Capital Power and other local companies
Capital Power and Enbridge Inc. are pleased to announce a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on carbon capture and storage (CCS) solutions in the Wabamun area west of Edmonton, Alberta, ne...