Genesee Station Overview
Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee Generating Station consists of Units 1, 2 and 3 which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation. Genesee Units 1 & 2 and Genesee Unit 3 use different technologies to provide responsible energy for tomorrow.
The 516 MW Genesee 3 is one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired facilities in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta. This unit dispatches a minimum (net) 176 MW of power to the grid. Above that minimum, Capital Power dispatches power to sell on Alberta’s wholesale electricity market.
- Genesee 3 is Canada’s first power generation facility to use supercritical-combustion technology for greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- CO2 emissions are approximately 24% lower than emissions from recently retired coal-fired generators in Alberta
- Environmental performance is enhanced by supercritical combustion and clean air technologies, which achieve greater efficiency and lower CO2, NOx and SO2 emissions per MW compared to older technologies
- Genesee 3’s clean air technology includes:
- Fabric filters that stop 99.8% of particulate matter from reaching the atmosphere
- A flue gas desulphurization unit that brings sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions well below the provincial emission standard, and less than half the emissions produced by vintage facilities
- Low nitrous oxide (NOx) burners that reduce NOx emissions by 70%
- We’re maximizing the flexibility of the units to utilize both natural gas and coal as fuel, which reduces emissions and increases flexibility to respond to market conditions.
Genesee Generating Station consists of some of Alberta’s youngest and most efficient thermal generations units. This reliable facility supports the Alberta energy market with baseload power supply and contributes to the economic well-being of the community it operates in. Work in recent years to improve plant efficiencies have made Genesee a world leader in the application of existing technologies resulting in a reduction of CO2 emissions by as much as 10%.
VP, Solid Fuels
Funding Disciplined Growth to Build Shareholder Value
At a high level, our capital allocation strategy allows us to fund growth by taking 50% of our free cash flow over the long-term and provide that back to investors in the form of dividends, while u...
Capital Power announces $275 million medium term note offering
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (“Capital Power”) (TSX:CPX) announced today that it has priced a public offering in Canada of unsecured medium term notes in the aggregate principal am...
Capital Power to host annual Investor Day event
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power (TSX: CPX) will be hosting its 11th annual Investor Day event in Toronto. Members of the executive leadership team will present on various topics including the exe...