Genesee Station Overview
Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee Generating Station consists of Units 1, 2 and 3 which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation. Genesee Units 1 & 2 and Genesee Unit 3 are undergoing repowering and coal-to-gas transformations respectively to move off-coal in 2023 and provide Responsible Energy for Tomorrow.
The 516 MW Genesee 3 is one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired facilities in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta. This unit dispatches a minimum (net) 176 MW of power to the grid. Above that minimum, Capital Power dispatches power to sell on Alberta’s wholesale electricity market.
- In support of our efforts to move off-coal in 2023, Genesee Unit 3 will continue with dual-fuel upgrades to maximize fuel flexibility and expand the use of natural gas before moving to 100% natural gas in 2023.
- Genesee 3 is Canada’s first power generation facility to use supercritical-combustion technology for greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- CO2 emissions are approximately 24% lower than emissions from recently retired coal-fired generators in Alberta
- Environmental performance is enhanced by supercritical combustion and clean air technologies, which achieve greater efficiency and lower CO2, NOx and SO2 emissions per MW compared to older technologies
- Genesee 3’s clean air technology includes:
- Fabric filters that stop 99.8% of particulate matter from reaching the atmosphere
- A flue gas desulphurization unit that brings sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions well below the provincial emission standard, and less than half the emissions produced by vintage facilities
- Low nitrous oxide (NOx) burners that reduce NOx emissions by 70%
Genesee Generating Station consists of some of Alberta’s youngest and most efficient thermal generation units. This reliable facility supports the Alberta energy market with baseload power supply and contributes to the economic well-being of the community it operates in. Repowering to best-in-class natural gas units will reduce emissions by 3.4 million tonnes per year and continue to deliver responsible energy for our future.
VP, Solid Fuels
Capital Power provides update on United States power operations relating to recent extreme weather event
Capital Power provided the following update for its operations following the recent extreme weather event through the central United States.
Capital Power announces approval of normal course issuer bid for purchase of up to 10.6 million of its common shares
The Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) has approved Capital Power (TSX: CPX) normal course issuer bid ("NCIB") to purchase and cancel up to 10,661,112 of its outstanding common shares during the one-year...
Capital Power named one of the 2021 World’s Most Ethical Companies® by Ethisphere
Capital Power has been recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the 2021 World’s Most Ethical Companies®. Honoured for a third straight year, Capital Power is one of only four Canadian comp...