Genesee Station Overview
Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee Generating Station consists of 3 power generation units which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation. Genesee 1 & 2 and Genesee 3 are undergoing repowering and coal-to-gas transformations respectively to move off-coal in 2023.
The 516 MW Genesee 3 is one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired facilities in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta. This unit dispatches a minimum (net) 176 MW of power to the grid. Above that minimum, Capital Power dispatches power to sell on Alberta’s wholesale electricity market.
- In support of our efforts to move off-coal in 2023, Genesee 3 will continue with dual-fuel upgrades to maximize fuel flexibility and expand the use of natural gas before moving to 100% natural gas in 2023.
- Genesee 3 is Canada’s first power generation facility to use supercritical-combustion technology for greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- CO2 emissions are approximately 24% lower than emissions from recently retired coal-fired generators in Alberta
- Environmental performance is enhanced by supercritical combustion and clean air technologies, which achieve greater efficiency and lower CO2, NOx and SO2 emissions per MW compared to older technologies
- Genesee 3’s clean air technology includes:
- Fabric filters that stop 99.8% of particulate matter from reaching the atmosphere
- A flue gas desulphurization unit that brings sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions well below the provincial emission standard, and less than half the emissions produced by vintage facilities
- Low nitrous oxide (NOx) burners that reduce NOx emissions by 70%
Genesee Generating Station consists of some of Alberta’s youngest and most efficient thermal generation units. This reliable facility supports the Alberta energy market with baseload power supply and contributes to the economic well-being of the community it operates in. Repowering to best-in-class natural gas units will reduce emissions by 3.4 million tonnes per year and continue to deliver responsible energy for our future.
VP, Solid Fuels
Capital Power advances carbon capture project at Genesee
Partnering with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group and Kiewit Energy Group to capture 3 million tonnes of CO2 per year
Capital Power has partnered with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group (“MHI Group”) and Kiewit Energy Group (“Kiewit”) on a front-end engineering and design (FEED) study for the Genesee CCS Project (t...
Capital Power announces Board appointment
Jill Gardiner, Chair of the Board for Capital Power is pleased to announce the appointment of Gary Bosgoed to the Company’s Board of Directors effective June 1, 2022.
Capital Power announces a 4.5-year contract renewal for Island Generation
Capital Power announced today the execution of a 4.5-year Electricity Purchase Agreement (EPA) through October 2026 for its Island Generation facility with BC Hydro. The EPA is subject to regulator...