Genesee Station Overview
Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee Generating Station consists of 3 power generation units which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation. Genesee 1 & 2 and Genesee 3 are undergoing repowering and coal-to-gas transformations respectively to move off-coal in 2023.
The 516 MW Genesee 3 is one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired facilities in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta. This unit dispatches a minimum (net) 176 MW of power to the grid. Above that minimum, Capital Power dispatches power to sell on Alberta’s wholesale electricity market.
- In support of our efforts to move off-coal in 2023, Genesee 3 will continue with dual-fuel upgrades to maximize fuel flexibility and expand the use of natural gas before moving to 100% natural gas in 2023.
- Genesee 3 is Canada’s first power generation facility to use supercritical-combustion technology for greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- CO2 emissions are approximately 24% lower than emissions from recently retired coal-fired generators in Alberta
- Environmental performance is enhanced by supercritical combustion and clean air technologies, which achieve greater efficiency and lower CO2, NOx and SO2 emissions per MW compared to older technologies
- Genesee 3’s clean air technology includes:
- Fabric filters that stop 99.8% of particulate matter from reaching the atmosphere
- A flue gas desulphurization unit that brings sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions well below the provincial emission standard, and less than half the emissions produced by vintage facilities
- Low nitrous oxide (NOx) burners that reduce NOx emissions by 70%