Genesee Station Overview
Located west of Edmonton near Warburg, AB, the Genesee Generating Station consists of 3 power generation units which provide over 1,300 MW of baseload generation. Genesee 1 & 2 and Genesee 3 are undergoing repowering and coal-to-gas transformations respectively to move off-coal in 2023 and provide Responsible Energy for Tomorrow.
The 516 MW Genesee 3 is one of the most advanced, fuel-efficient, and environmentally progressive coal-fired facilities in Canada and one of the lowest variable-cost, baseload generators in Alberta. This unit dispatches a minimum (net) 176 MW of power to the grid. Above that minimum, Capital Power dispatches power to sell on Alberta’s wholesale electricity market.
- In support of our efforts to move off-coal in 2023, Genesee 3 will continue with dual-fuel upgrades to maximize fuel flexibility and expand the use of natural gas before moving to 100% natural gas in 2023.
- Genesee 3 is Canada’s first power generation facility to use supercritical-combustion technology for greater fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- CO2 emissions are approximately 24% lower than emissions from recently retired coal-fired generators in Alberta
- Environmental performance is enhanced by supercritical combustion and clean air technologies, which achieve greater efficiency and lower CO2, NOx and SO2 emissions per MW compared to older technologies
- Genesee 3’s clean air technology includes:
- Fabric filters that stop 99.8% of particulate matter from reaching the atmosphere
- A flue gas desulphurization unit that brings sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions well below the provincial emission standard, and less than half the emissions produced by vintage facilities
- Low nitrous oxide (NOx) burners that reduce NOx emissions by 70%
Genesee Generating Station consists of some of Alberta’s youngest and most efficient thermal generation units. This reliable facility supports the Alberta energy market with baseload power supply and contributes to the economic well-being of the community it operates in. Repowering to best-in-class natural gas units will reduce emissions by 3.4 million tonnes per year and continue to deliver responsible energy for our future.
VP, Solid Fuels
Capital Power reports voting results from the 2021 annual meeting of shareholders
EDMONTON, Alberta – The annual meeting of shareholders (annual meeting) for Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) (Capital Power or the Company) was held on April 29, 2021 in Edmonton, Alberta.
Capital Power reports strong first quarter results and expects 2021 results to exceed annual financial guidance
Quarterly results confirm the robustness of the Alberta power market
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) today released financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2021.
Capital Power declares dividends for its Common and Preference shares
EDMONTON, Alberta –The Board of Directors for Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) (Capital Power) declared a dividend of $0.5125 per share on the outstanding common shares for the quarter ending J...