EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power today released its 2014 Corporate Responsibility Report, The Power of Stability, for the sixth consecutive year, available at www.capitalpower.com/responsibility.
“In 2014, we celebrated a number of milestones including our five-year anniversary, 25 years of operations at the Genesee Generating Station and being recognized as one of the Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights magazine, for a fourth straight year. Our history, our practices and our focus on continuous improvement contribute to our success,” said Capital Power President and CEO Brian Vaasjo. “This report reflects the actions we take and the way we behave, every day – in our community, in our facilities, in our offices, and on our construction sites.”
Report highlights & achievements:
- Capital Power is Alberta’s leading developer of new power generation, responsible for 29% of energy capacity added since 2004, and has an additional 545 MW of owned capacity under construction or advanced development in Alberta and North Carolina.
- We delivered a 7.9% dividend increase to provide stable and growing returns to shareholders.
- Our operations achieved 95% availability in 2014 – a level of dependability that is essential to the customers we serve.
- At the end of 2014, 16% of Capital Power’s electricity production was from renewable sources.
- The greenhouse gas (GHG) intensity of our Canadian operations is on a downward trajectory. Emissions intensity decreased 9.9% between 2011 and 2014.
- To address the immediate challenge of climate change, we offset 1.7 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions from our operations in 2014 (17%).
- We reduced mercury emissions by 57% since 2011.
- We lived our values, donating $1 million to causes that improve quality of life in the communities where we live and work.
- We achieved major improvements in workplace safety and environmental performance, on our journey to Zero injuries, achieving our best safety record to date.
About Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is a growth-oriented North American power producer headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. The company develops, acquires, operates and optimizes power generation from a variety of energy sources. Capital Power owns more than 3,200 megawatts of power generation capacity at 17 facilities across North America and owns 371 megawatts of capacity through a power purchase agreement. An additional 545 megawatts of owned generation capacity is under construction or in advanced development in Alberta and North Carolina.