Capital Power releases its 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report
EDMONTON, Alberta – Today, Capital Power released its seventh annual Corporate Responsibility Report. Power Forward is now available at www.capitalpower.com/responsibility.
In 2015, Capital Power delivered on its corporate priorities, participated in climate change consultations in Alberta, and celebrated a number of accomplishments, including achieving our best health, safety and environmental incidents performance to-date, and being recognized as one of the Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights magazine for a sixth straight year.
“We are committed to power forward to a lower-carbon future, while remaining a productive, profitable, and competitive power generator,” said Capital Power President and CEO Brian Vaasjo. “Success stems from working collectively, collaboratively, and creatively to deliver results.”
Report highlights & achievements:
- Increased production from our renewable energy portfolio from 4% in 2011 to 17% in 2015.
- Achieved our best environmental performance to-date, with a 25% reduction of reportable environmental incidents as compared to 2014.
- Held one of the largest inventories of Alberta greenhouse gas offsets, investing nearly $10 million in Alberta-based offset projects that reduce local greenhouse gas emissions in 2015.
- Through our community investment program, we invested $1.2 million in communities where we are located.
- Launched GENerosity, our new employee matched giving program, which resulted in an investment of $297,150 in 134charities.
- Strengthened our cash flow by adding 405-megawatts of owned contracted generation to our fleet from the addition of three new facilities, which utilize natural gas, wind, and solar.
- Delivered a 7.4% increase in our annual dividend to provide stable and growing returns to shareholders.
- Our operations exceeded our plant availability target of 94%-reaching 95%–a level of dependability that is essential to the customers we serve.
About Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is a growth-oriented North American power producer headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. The company develops, acquires, operates and optimizes power generation from a variety of energy sources. Capital Power owns more than 3,200 megawatts of power generation capacity at 18 facilities across North America. More than 700 megawatts of owned generation capacity is in advanced development in Alberta and Kansas.