EDMONTON, Alberta – Today, Capital Power published its eighth annual corporate responsibility report titled, “We’re Moving Forward”. The magazine-style report is available at www.capitalpower.com/responsibility.
“Capital Power is focused on navigating the transition to a lower-carbon energy future by tackling environmental challenges, participating in developing regulatory changes, and contributing to delivering sustainable solutions,” said Brian Vaasjo, President and CEO of Capital Power. “Our commitment to corporate responsibility is helping guide our path through this energy transition, and helping deliver a stable dividend and disciplined growth for our shareholders.”
In 2016, Capital Power delivered on its corporate priorities, launched new initiatives to reduce carbon emissions at existing facilities and eliminate emissions from coal in Alberta by the end of 2030, and celebrated a number of accomplishments, including beginning construction on our first wind development project in the United States and being recognized as one of the Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights magazine for a seventh straight year.
Report highlights & achievements:
For our people and communities
- Contributed $1 million through our community investment program, supporting over 200 organizations.
- Kept our people safe and met our target of zero major and zero critical health and safety incidents and achieved zero lost-time incidents, making 2016 our safest year to date.
For the environment
- Held one of the largest inventories of Alberta greenhouse gas (GHG) offsets, investing more than $15 million in Alberta-based offsets that reduce local GHG emissions.
- Completed a successful biomass co-firing test at Genesee as part of our pursuit to reduce carbon emissions.
- Reclaimed 40 hectares at the Genesee Mine, bringing the total amount of reclaimed land (farmland, reforested, and wetland areas) to 984 hectares.
For the future
- Lowering our carbon emissions at our existing operations by conducting regular maintenance practices and optimizing our plant operations. New investments at Genesee are intended to cut greenhouse gas emissions by more than 850,000 tonnes a year by 2021.
- Eliminating all emissions from coal at our Alberta generation facilities by the end of 2030 and developing new lower-carbon generation.
- Advancing renewables: added six wind projects and one solar project since 2011 with our 178 megawatt Bloom Wind facility, located in Kansas, being the most recent (completed June 2017).
About Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is a growth-oriented North American power producer headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. The company develops, acquires, operates and optimizes power generation from a variety of energy sources. Capital Power owns approximately 4,500 megawatts of power generation capacity at 24 facilities and is pursuing contracted generation capacity throughout North America.