Utilizing a variety of solid fuel sources, Roxboro Power Plant is part of Capital Power’s North Carolina generation assets. The facility was acquired in 2006 from Primary Energy Ventures and operates under a Power Purchase Agreement with Progress Energy.
- Significant investment made in equipment to burn alternate fuels, reducing coal usage by 90%
- Three stoker boilers use a mixture of wood residuals, tire-derived fuel, and coal
- Wood residuals sourced from North Carolina’s extensive forestry-related industry, which produces an abundance of wood waste as a by-product
- Tire-derived fuel sourced from waste tires repurposes waste into energy instead of going to landfill
- Environmental impacts minimized by using an engineered fabric filter known as baghouse, which keeps particulates from the plant well under state regulations
We contribute to the communities in which we operate with the focus of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and priorities, and build real relationships. We strive to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At the Roxboro Power Plant:
- We employ 34 permanent positions and numerous contractors.
- We pay approximately $200,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Piedmont Community College Foundation
- Roxboro Police Department “Shop with a Cop” and “National Night Out”
- Person County Sheriff’s Office “Shop with a Sheriff”
- Mayo Lake Park Youth Fishing Derby
- Personality Festival
- PC Friends of the Park
- Friends of the Person County Public Library
Roxboro Power Plant provides responsible and reliable energy, tapping into locally sourced industrial waste products to burn as alternate fuel, reducing our coal usage by 90%.
Funding Disciplined Growth to Build Shareholder Value
At a high level, our capital allocation strategy allows us to fund growth by taking 50% of our free cash flow over the long-term and provide that back to investors in the form of dividends, while u...
Capital Power announces $275 million medium term note offering
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power Corporation (“Capital Power”) (TSX:CPX) announced today that it has priced a public offering in Canada of unsecured medium term notes in the aggregate principal am...
Capital Power to host annual Investor Day event
EDMONTON, Alberta – Capital Power (TSX: CPX) will be hosting its 11th annual Investor Day event in Toronto. Members of the executive leadership team will present on various topics including the exe...