Utilizing a variety of solid fuel sources, Roxboro Power Plant is part of Capital Power’s North Carolina generation assets. The facility was acquired in 2006 from Primary Energy Ventures and operates under a Power Purchase Agreement with Progress Energy.
- Significant investment made in equipment to burn alternate fuels, reducing coal usage by 90%
- Three stoker boilers use a mixture of wood residuals, tire-derived fuel, and coal
- Wood residuals sourced from North Carolina’s extensive forestry-related industry, which produces an abundance of wood waste as a by-product
- Tire-derived fuel sourced from waste tires repurposes waste into energy instead of going to landfill
- Environmental impacts minimized by using an engineered fabric filter known as baghouse, which keeps particulates from the plant well under state regulations
We contribute to the communities in which we operate with the focus of building a sustainable future for all. We engage our neighbours, consider their interests and priorities, and build real relationships. We strive to source supplies and services locally for our operations, as well as hire from the community. At the Roxboro Power Plant:
- We employ 34 permanent positions and numerous contractors.
- We pay approximately $200,000 in property tax each year, contributing annually to community tax bases, supporting the improvement of infrastructure, roadways, and community services.
We give back where we live and work by supporting local organizations and our employees’ community participation through our corporate giving programs.
Recent community support includes:
- Piedmont Community College Foundation
- Roxboro Police Department “Shop with a Cop” and “National Night Out”
- Person County Sheriff’s Office “Shop with a Sheriff”
- Mayo Lake Park Youth Fishing Derby
- Personality Festival
- PC Friends of the Park
- Friends of the Person County Public Library
Roxboro Power Plant provides responsible and reliable energy, tapping into locally sourced industrial waste products to burn as alternate fuel, reducing our coal usage by 90%.
Advancing our commitment to gender equality with Equal by 30
At Capital Power, delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow means advancing the participation of women in energy and closing the gender gap. Our Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Committee is proud to...
Capital Power announces a C$350 million medium term note offering and the early redemption of C$251 million of medium term notes
Capital Power announced today that it has priced a public offering in Canada of unsecured medium term notes in the aggregate principal amount of C$350 million (the “Offering”). The notes have a cou...
Capital Power announces a 10-year tolling agreement extension for Decatur Energy Center
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) announced today the execution of a 10-year tolling agreement extension through December 2032 for Decatur Energy Center (Decatur Energy) with the current counterparty.