Although Capital Power is a new company, it begins its public life with a long history and a tradition of innovation and service dating from 1891.
(The following outline of Capital Power’s history has been adapted from Candles to Kilowatts, with permission from the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation.)
1891 Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company founded
On October 23, 1891, a group of entrepreneurs obtained a 10-year permit to build the Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River. Power poles were installed along Jasper Avenue from 96 Street to 103 Street.
On December 22, 1891, electric lights come on in Edmonton
1902 Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company made public
Edmonton Electrical Lighting and Power Company entered a new phase as the first municipally owned electric utility in Canada.
1903 A new plant is built at Rossdale Flats
Due to flood damage, a new and superior power plant, Rossdale, is built on higher ground. Electricity is generated by burning coal.
1933 Edmonton's first traffic light installed at Jasper Avenue and 101 Street
1947 Electricity goes underground
Lines were removed from above the streets and underground lines were installed in downtown Edmonton, forming the Network Distribution System – a more reliable method of power distribution.
1955 Rossdale switches from coal to gas
Under pressure to reduce costs and air emissions, the City of Edmonton switches from coal-fired boilers to gas. By the end of 1955, all of the boilers at the Rossdale Plant burned natural gas.
1970 Edmonton Power formed
The Electrical Distribution and Power Plant departments combine to form Edmonton Power.
Clover Bar Generating Station commissioned
Edmonton Power's Clover Bar Generating Station was built in response to the growing demand for electricity during the 1960s and into the 1970s. Within the next eight years, another three units were added, bringing the combined generating capacity of the Clover Bar and Rossdale generating stations to 1,050 megawatts by 1979.
1989 First Genesee unit operational
In July 1989, the first Genesee unit is operating at full load. Electricity generated at Genesee is commercially available through the Alberta Interconnected Grid by October. By the early 1990s, Genesee produces more electricity than any other plant operated by Edmonton Power.
1991 Edmonton Power celebrates 100 years
1994 Second Genesee unit operational
Another Genesee unit began commercial operation in early 1994, bringing the combined total to 850 MW of gross capacity.
1996 EPCOR Utilities Inc. formed
The formation of EPCOR Utilities Inc. marked the first merger of natural gas, power and water utilities in Canada. A universal brand name, EPCOR, was introduced in 2001.
2002 Frederickson Power Facility begins commercial operation
EPCOR’s 249 MW combined-cycle natural gas-fired facility located near Tacoma, Washington, began commercial operation. EPCOR sold its interest in the Frederickson facility to EPCOR Power L.P. in 2006.
2005 Genesee Unit 3 completed
Genesee 3 (G3) set new standards for Canadian power production. At 495 megawatts, G3 – co-owned by EPCOR and TransAlta – is the single largest addition to the Alberta grid. G3 features the first use of supercritical combustion in Canada and a $90 million investment in clean air technologies.
EPCOR Power L.P. (now Capital Power Income L.P. ) launches
Units of EPCOR Power L.P. (EP.UN) began trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange. EPCOR's 30.6% ownership interest in EPCOR Power L.P. (the Partnership) was acquired from TransCanada for $529 million. At the time of acquisition, the Partnership's 11 power generating facilities in Canada and the U.S. had a total capacity of 869 megawatts. At the time of Capital Power’s IPO, EPLP had interests in 20 generation plants, with total electrical capacity of 1,668 MW and thermal capacity of approximately 3,797 million pounds per hour.
Capital Power Income L.P. now trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CPA. UN.
2006 Kingsbridge 1 Wind Power Project comes on line
The 22 turbine project was among the first to bring more renewable power to the province of Ontario.
2007 Ground broken on Keephills 3
Construction began on Keephills 3, a 495 MW (net) supercritical coal-fired unit employing the same technology as Genesee 3, west of Edmonton, Alberta, in partnership with TransAlta Corporation.
2009 Capital Power Corporation launches
On July 9, 2009, Capital Power successfully completed an initial public offering of common shares. EPCOR retained a significant majority, representing, at the time, more than 70% of the common equity. The company’s common shares began trading on the TSX (symbol CPX) on June 26, 2009.
2010 and later
For updates on the direction of the company, see our news releases.